Monday, March 06, 2006

My Name in a Comic Book

I can now say that I am a published writer. Unfortunately, the type of publication is not considered as prestigious as some of the academic journals my fellow graduate students shoot for. In fact, my medium is somewhat looked down upon by the mainstream, but that in no way decreases the thrill I have of seeing my name in a Marvel comic book.

Last month, Marvel (the publisher of X-Men, Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, and the Fantastic Four among many other titles) started a new page that runs in roughly half of their comic books, called "The Hotspot." Most of the page is just an advertisement for other books coming out that month, but there is a box in which the editor answers readers' questions.

Here is what this month's box says: "We got our first Hotspot question out of the mailbag the other day. In additiion to expressing his elation at seeing the page, and imploring us to save SPIDER-GIRL from cancellation (we're trying!) reader Azor Cigelske asked:

'Will we ever see a day when, in addition to comic shops, we will go back to comics in gas stations and grocery stores? Or is the next step the end of comic shops and ten years from now all comics will be on-demand online? I'm hoping for a future where comics are available digitally, at specialty stores, and at the old-fashioned distributuion points as well. Am I dreaming?'

The editor proceeded to answer my questions with three long paragraphs, before ending with "Good question Azor" (Yes! My name appears twice!) If anyone is curious about how my question was answered, you will have to go to your local comic shop and buy one of the dozens of comics coming out this month which contains my name.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Hoffman said...

did you know that your mean? yay, losers usually deny it, but you know you are.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Azor said...

Hi Jake. Yeah, I came across it myself. My subconscious spotted it first. What I mean by that is that when I turned the page I immediately saw my name even though it wasn't prominent. I think one's subconscious can actually scan the entire page and draw your attention to relevant points. I'm actually not a Simpson's fan, though I am generally interested in satire. I just haven't watched a whole lot of TV, unless of course it is a show based on a comic book.

Heidi, good to see that one of the 15-year-old Canadian bloggers who have infiltrated my brother's site has discovered mine. For those who read my blog but not my brother's, he put a reference to Saskatchewon (sp?) in one of his entries and through the miracle of search engines the next thing he knew a bunch of Canadian teenagers had descended. Evidently, they followed the link from on of my comments on that blog, and they might be coming for you next.

However Heidi I am a bit confused as to why I'm mean. If I really was mean I would correct your grammer and point out the difference between "your" and "you're."

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home