Friday, February 10, 2006

Heavy Stuff

I read an article in USA Today that is really touching. It's about the lone survivor of the West Virginia mine accident last month, his recovery, and his family's devotion to each other. If you've got a few minutes it is worth a read:

usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-02-08-mine-survivor-improves_x.htm

The miner's wife shares part of the good-bye note that he wrote when he thought that he was going to die. Very few of us will ever get the chance to compose a note for our loved ones in our last moments. The only other comparable situation I can think of is that of the passengers of Flight 93 on 9/11. They didn't compose notes, but I know several of them made calls to loved ones to say goodbye.

It's incomprehensible to me what must go through someone's mind in such a situation. How do you sum up a lifetime's worth of thought and feeling into a single note or a single phone call? I may be a writing teacher, but that's one lesson I wouldn't want to attempt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home